Most item codes are most conveniently created by importing actual Income and Expense data from host General Ledger systems. However, in planning work, some new item codes may be required before they have been used for actual data.
In IFP it is very easy to create new item codes manually. The basic idea is to model new item codes on similar existing item codes, where possible.
To create item codes in a P&L Planning and Analysis database, proceed as follows:
- From IFP Home, select Codes Maintenance > Item Code Maintenance.
- Select a suitable set of existing item codes via normal item selection methods.
In this example new item codes are required for selected accounts for a new cost centre ADSRV001 that will be similar to an existing cost centre ADSRV000. Hence, item codes for relevant accounts for cost centre ADSRV000 were selected.
- Select a suitable range of cells in the Item Codes Editor. Only select the columns Description through to the final column (do not select the Item Code or New Code columns).
- Copy the selected cells (right-click > Copy).
- Select the Description cell in the last (empty) row in the grid. Right Click > Paste into this cell.
Edit the relevant item code components cells for each new row.
- The New Code column cannot be edited directly. IFP creates correctly formatted new item codes automatically, corresponding to the item code structure used for the database.
- In P&L Planning and Analysis databases, codes for new item code components such as Cost Centre and Account must be created first via Item Codes Classification variables Maintenance.
- Apply other classification variables by using the conversion tables where necessary.
- Click Save.
Please sign in to leave a comment.