Historical data, current year actuals to date, and all finalised forecast and plan data files should be locked as a best practice. Locking files ensures that no changes can be made unless the data is specifically unlocked by the local administrator.
In this example of a current year actuals file viewed in the Forecast Editor, January - April have been locked. Data in May onwards is available for data import and editing.
To Lock a Data File
- From IFP Home select Databases / Files > Data File Manager
- Select the required file, e.g. Summary > 2012 > 12 Actual
- Select Properties then the Status tab.
- Either choose Fully Locked in the case of a Forecast or Plan file, or Locked to.... for current year actuals
- Simply choose Unlocked or Locked to.... to make certain months available to edit again.
Note: In Sales databases you have the option of locking data by data type, i.e. by Units or ASP