A common requirement during the creation of current year forecasts is to force the annual totals in the relevant forecast file to equal those in another file (the reference forecast). This may be achieved very quickly for Units or Value as shown below.
The same process may be used in both sales and P&L databases at any level of detail.
Levels of Detail
The selected level of detail is the level at which annual totals will be forced to agree. Annual totals at lower levels will normally not agree exactly. For example, if the selected level of detail is product group then annual totals at item code level will not normally agree exactly. Hence, you should select a level of detail at which you really need annual totals to agree between your working forecast and the reference forecast.
- Ensure that you reference forecast is saved in a suitable file, e.g. AUGFC
- Fully lock this file
- Copy actuals YTD into the target forecast file, e.g. WKFC.
- Lock the working forecast file to latest actual month
Once you have prepared your files, from IFP Home:
- Select Forecasting > Standard Actual/Forecast Editor
- Select File 1 = Source (Original forecast) and File 2 = Target (Amended forecast)
- Select the period Jan - Dec.
- Select relevant amendment options, e.g. Data to be Amended = Units, Data to be Entered = Value
- Select the required Items
- Select the required Levels of Detail (we recommend avoiding sub-totals)
- Select currency (e.g. Euros)
- Click Finish.
Forecast Editing Grid
In the forecast editing grid:
- Select all monthly cells for both files for required items
Note: Do not select annual totals or sub-total/grand total cells.
- Select Modelling > Copy Annual Totals to Another File
- Select Source and Target files
- Click OK
Note: For some items, the year to date actuals for the target file may already exceed the annual total for the source file. This would normally generate negative values for the balance of the year in order to achieve the same annual total. Since, in most cases this is undesirable, users may wish to select the option Replace negative values with zeroes.
The resulting grid should then show unfrozen cells adjusted on a pro-rata basis to give identical annual totals for source and target files:
Note: Calculation of amended values is executed on a pro-rata based upon existing values. Where the selected data type is Value, no calculations will be carried out for cells which have zero base prices.