Most item codes are most conveniently created by importing Actual Sales Data from host Sales Systems, however, in planning work, some new item codes may be required before they have been used for actual data.
In IFP it is very easy to create new item codes manually. The basic idea is to model new item codes on similar existing item codes, where possible.
To create item codes in a Sales Planning and Analysis database, proceed as follows:
- From IFP Home, select Codes Maintenance > Item Codes Maintenance.
- Select a suitable set of existing item codes via normal item selection methods.
In this example new item codes are required for customers 005 to 008 for the existing product Cleareze Tabs x 10. Hence, all existing Cleareze Tabs item codes were selected.
- When the item codes editor appears, select a suitable range of cells. Note: Only select the columns New Code through to the final column (do not select the Item Code column).
- Copy the selected cells (right-click > Copy).
- Select the New Code cell in the last (empty) row in the grid. Right Click > Paste into this cell.
- Edit the New Code cell for each new row to provide the correct new item code.
- The Item Code cell for each new row is automatically updated to be equal to the code in the New Code cell for that row.
- Take care to format new item codes correctly, according to the coding structure used for the database
- Edit values for other classification variables where necessary.
- Click Save to commit changes.