In each database the planning currency variable determines in which currency values are stored for each item code. Normally, planning currencies are set correctly and remain unchanged through the life of a database.
However, the planning currency assignment for one or more item codes may occasionally require modification due to historical assignment errors or changes in company policy.
It is essential for all users to understand that simply changing the planning currency assignment for an item code will effectively change all actual/forecast values currently stored for that item. For example, if the current planning currency for an item is USD and it is changed to GBP, then a value of, say, 1000 USD becomes 1000 GBP.
Note: Since this process involves significant changes to IFP databases, you are strongly advised to contact AJB Systems for advice before starting.
In order to correctly modify planning currencies without resulting in such changes in currently stored values, it is essential to follow the following basic process:
- Create a full backup of the database before making any changes to planning currency assignments.
- Export current data in all data files
- Edit planning currencies in the item master file
- Re-import the files created in step 2.
- Edit any planning currency entries in import mappings
Creating Export Files
Before changing any planning currencies, all data files which contain the item codes concerned should be exported. Please see How to Import Data into a Data File.
Editing Planning Currencies
- From IFP Home select Codes Maintenance > Item Codes Maintenance.
- Select the item codes that you wish to change. Click Next.
- Enter the new Planning Currency entries.
- Save the changes.
The exported data files should now be re-imported into the corresponding data files. For more information please see Importing Data from a Standard IFP File.
Checking Imported Data
Please run check reports on all data files to ensure that the values have not changed.
Modification of Import Mappings
Existing item code import mappings will need to be updated to reflect changes in planning currency.
- Follow the usual process for importing item codes up until the Field Mappings have been loaded.
- From the drop down list, select the Planning Currency variable.
- Click Build.
- Enter the new mapping for Planning currency, click OK to close the dialog box. Click Next.
- Check this change has been reflected in the sample item codes. Click Next.
- Click Save Field Mappings and overwrite the previous mappings.
- Repeat this process for all new item code mappings.