This topic provides an example of using the Import from a Package selection to import data into a database. This example was raised in a support ticket.
As Data File Copy will not let you use the same data file for both Source and Target or copy between databases e.g. Sales to P&L, this is instead done by Importing from a Package.
Is it possible to copy data from one item type to another belonging to the same file? For example, I want to copy values from WKTMF Gross sales to WKTMF sales allowances but also make this figure 1000 times smaller?
Using a conversion table, you can add a rule which maps the Gross Sales item codes to the Sales Allowances item codes, and use the appropriate Factor (0.001 in this case). For example:
- Source = ?????_??_??_01
- Target = ?????_??_??_SA
- Factor = 0.001
- Description = Gross Sales to Sales Allowances
You will first need to create an Analysis vs Time Package for a report that lists the Gross Sales lines you wish to copy for the required WKTMF file. Once this package has been created, you should run it to check that the output is as expected.
Creating the Package Import
- From IFP Home select Databases/Files > Data File Manager and select the file to import into e.g. WKTMF.
- From the toolbar select Tools > Import and select the Package Import Type.
- Set the Data Import Options required on the General tab. Select the Conversion Table created above on the Advanced tab.
- Select the database you wish to use the package from (in this example it’s the same one) and select the required package (this will be the one created above).
- Load or create a field mapping for the data.
- Check that data is shown in the sample is as expected.
- Click Run Import and check all records have been imported and there are no errors.
- Save this import as an AutoTask (if it will be run regularly) or click Finish.