Standard format Month & YTD Variance reports in sales databases include columns for just one data type (either units, value or ASP). In some cases, you may wish to create a single report including relevant columns for two or more data types (e.g. units, value and ASP).
This can be achieved in a very flexible manner using Crosstabulation Analysis.
A comprehensive crosstabulation definition is shown below. This definition is written in a generic manner allowing the use of any 3 selected files.
Note the following aspects of this definition:
Type = 14 (Selected File/Period Column)
Code = CMCM01 (Current month value for file 1)
Header = Units|Month|F1~ (1st line = Units, 2nd line = Month, 3rd line = file 1 label)
Type = 7 (Variance Column X vs Column Y)
Code = 0102 (Column 1 vs Column 2)
Header = Units|Month|F1~ (1st line = Units, 2nd line = Var. vs., 3rd line = file 2 label)
Column Header Merging
Columns 1 to 7 use exactly the same first header line (Units) to ensure that headers for these columns are merged.
Columns 1 to 2 use slightly different 2nd line headers of 'Month' and ' Month' to ensure that headers for these columns are not merged.
Note the use of Advanced Options > Data type override to set the data type to be used for each column. For example, columns 8, 9 and 12 have 'Data type override' set to Value.
To create the report proceed as follows:
- From IFP Home, select Crosstabulation Analysis > Custom File Selection and select any 3 files. Note that file 1 should normally be CY actuals. Files 2 and 3 may be any other files (typically plan and PY actuals).
Note that you should select the full year (January to December) for this report. You must not select any variance option 'Period totals only).
- You may select any options for the following:
- Report definition
- Levels of detail
- Inclusion options (only one data type may be selected, but the report includes all data types)
- Crosstabulation Definition should be Month&YTDVariance_UnitsValueASP_3Files
A small part of the resulting report is shown below. The complete example report is attached to this topic (Month&YTDVariance_UnitsValueASP_3Files.xls).
Adding Crosstabulation Definition to Your Database
The attached definition may be installed in any sales database as follows:
- Save the attached file, Month & YTD Variances Units, ASP, Value (3 Files).ifp, in any convenient folder on your local server
- In your sales database, select Reporting > Crosstabulation Manager
- Select the General folder.
- Click Tools > Import and select the file you saved in step 1.
Variants of the above report may easily be constructed.
Excluding ASP Columns
If a report is required without showing ASP columns then a copy of the above definition may be created with the advanced option Hidden column set for all ASP columns
YTD Analysis Only
If a report is required without showing YTD analysis only then a copy of the above definition may be created with the advanced option Hidden column set for all 'Month' columns.
Alternatively, a copy may be created with all Month columns removed. However, this will require careful editing of calculated column definitions.
Below are example check reports and crosstab definitions for Month & YTD variances, in both the 3 file format and the 2 file format.